Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Would You Believe?


Does love at first sight exist?

Oh, hell, I have no idea. But it's certainly possible (I guess). There are a lot of things involved with falling in love. We're all very complex people, and we think about things as they're happening. We've got built-in ideals, morals, intuition, logic, and imagination. We have baggage.

I had a professor that always said that “we are our stories.” We are made up of the things that happen to us. The difference is, of course, that we all react to these things differently. I'm an empath— I'm emotional before I'm anything else. I try very hard to be logical (and I can be, it just doesn't always happen first), but I'm usually acting on emotion. That's how I react to my stories, and that's what makes me who I am.

Falling in love is actually a physical thing, isn't it? We're drawn first to appearance, voice, gestures, and smell. It's because we're all really animals underneath all of it. We have this intuition that pulls us where we're going. We search for that person that has the qualities that we feel will complete us. And because we're looking for that completion, we're sometimes putting constraints on love. I guess that's why people don't think that love at first sight can happen.

Love at first sight is supposed to take you by surprise.

Maybe you suddenly “fall in love” with some unknown person and you see that it's mutual. Perhaps “Mother Nature” or some other higher power has chosen that person for you. Maybe that person genetically suits you. But that's not love. That's babymaking science.

It takes less than a second to decide whether you find someone physically attractive. (What? We're fickle.) But emotion can change that initial reaction.

Studies show that the more you interact with a person, the more you come to regard him (or her) as “good looking.” Sometimes it can take years for people to fully appreciate one another. So, in theory, you can fall in love with someone even more every time you see them.

I guess that's what love at first sight is— when every time is like the first time.

4 comments:

  1. I'm mushy. I believe in love at first sight. Fun article...now I'm going to go kiss my husband ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only way every time is like the first time is if you have Alzehimers. Getting to know someone and having them become more physically appealing over time is the exact opposite of love at first sight. That's the point of the question. Either you believe in love as pure physical desire (which is pretty much what you're going to get at first sight), or you believe that love is a process that develops over time, and you can grow into the physical elements of it. Love at first sight is not when every time is like the first time, because you know more about them over time. Your entire premise is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was smitten about George after I first met him. Secretly though. Afterall, I had a boyfriend at the time. Hell, we did the forbidden dance and wah-la, now we have a blog together!

    ReplyDelete