Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Emotional Vampires? Ahh!!!


Some people just insist on sucking your soul out. They don't all know it, but that's just what happens.


The important thing, of course, is to check yourself and make sure you're not one of the energy suckers. I read this article about Energy Vampires, and it got me thinking. Do I do these things to people?


Do you?



The article starts out like this: “Insecure people drain other people's energy. Symptoms felt, after dealing with an energy vampire are, weakness, impulse to eat, headaches, low energy.”


Crap, I know people have made me feel like that before. Some people just sap my energy and make me want to eat. (Is that why I can't fit into my skinny jeans?)


(Upon further consideration, I can't fit into my skinny jeans because I've gained, as Daniel says, “ten pounds of laughter.” Nobody's fault but my own.)


I like how the article breaks down the different types of “Energy Vampires,” too.


  1. Sob Sister, Blamer, Drama Queen. People like this constantly talk and blow things out of proportion. Sob sister blames the world, blamer somehow makes YOU feel guilty, and drama queens are just huge energy vacuums that are energized by chaos.

    We all know people like this. But how do we deal with them? Especially the drama queens, because they're absolutely unbearable.

  2. Constant Talker, Fixer Upper, Outwardly Nice Socializer. Constant talkers are addicted to their own voice. (Am I one of these?) A fixer upper needs you to fix all of their problems. And the outwardly nice ones are the worst! There's nothing like passive-aggression to really make you feel like crap. If you're pissed off, just tell me you're pissed off. Fake nice sucks.

  3. The Go-for-the-Jugular Person, the Unintentional Sapper. The former here likes to put others down. And I'm sure everyone is an unintentional sapper from time to time. If I'm stressed out, I might stress other people out. I don't mean to, it just happens.


And most people really don't mean to, I think. The drama queen doesn't realize that she's the drama queen.


What should you do if you feel like someone is sucking your energy away? Or if the thought of talking to this person just stresses you out?


Um... if you don't have to talk to them... Don't!


Seriously, a friend is someone that makes you feel better about yourself— not worse. So limit the time you spend with people that make you feel crappy. Spend more time with the people that make you feel super-fantastic-awesome.


If you have to talk to these people, try to control the conversation. Say, “I've only got five minutes to talk.” Or, “I'm running to the bathroom now.”


If an energy sucking person starts talking about something you don't want to talk about, just say so. “I'm sorry, I don't want to talk about your wife's hangnail anymore.”


I guard my personal space like it's going out of style. I'm not a hugger. I hate hugging, actually. If I initiate a hug with you, then it's a big deal. Physical contact is valuable to me. I'll only give it to someone I really care about. (And I mean REALLY care about.)


How can you tell if you're an energy vampire?


Well, check out this article. It lists some major warning signs.

Like:

  • You state your opinion like it's fact

  • You complain endlessly about your problems

  • You throw pity parties

  • You wield guilt like a weapon

  • You spread fear around

  • You're stubborn (I especially liked the example she gave for this one. Read it!)


We are all like that sometimes. And it's cool to be a little Dracula.


But in moderation, please.


2 comments:

  1. I read the second article a while ago (strange how it's a small world, right?) and also liked her example for being stubborn. A friend of mine was talking about dealing with an energy vampire (well, he was describing one, anyway, even though he didn't know there was a name for it). I was thinking about sending this article to him, but then I realized he'd just think I was trying to tell HIM he's an energy vampire. (Well, he is, but that's another story all together.) Uuuugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll love reading The Middle Finger project's posts on Dream Zappers. Same vein (pun intended), different vamps.

    http://www.themiddlefingerproject.org/the-smart-ass-guide-to-dealing-with-dream-zappers-guest-post-free-pursuits/

    and

    http://www.themiddlefingerproject.org/dream-zappers-part-ii-why-they-zap-squash-belittle-your-aspirations/

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete